April 14, 2011

I wish the weather would make up its mind...

I keep trying to think of ways to use my pastry dough. I made a couple of pot pies with my chicken soup yesterday but I still had a couple hockey pucked sized rounds so I decided I would make an apple tart.
I rolled out my dough so it was nice and thin and centered it in a 1" deep 10" ceramic tart dish. I had plenty of dough left over around the edge to have a nice fold over all around so I just left it. I then took the 2 granny smith apples that we bought yesterday (and I had planned on just eating, but I like this plan better) and used the apple peeler/corer to... well... peel and core the apples. I arranged the apples in a pinwheel pattern around the pan and had enough to stack twice as well as fill the center. I sprinkled about a tablespoon or so of sugar over the apples and then dotted about another tablespoon of salted butter onto the apples. I folded over the rest of the dough and then brushed the exposed dough with some of the heavy cream I had left over from the cake. I slipped it into a preheated 400 degree oven and it's been baking for about 40 minutes now. I'm not sure exactly how long I'll have it go, but I'm thinking maybe an hour. I'm just going to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't burn but I want the apples nice and tender. Very excited.

No comments: