April 22, 2011

Szechwan Shrimp & Vegetable Stir Fry

I'm loving the time I've been spending in the kitchen lately. If I had one complaint it would be that we don't have a dish washer... And I use a lot of dishes. *sigh* Oh well. Wont stop me from making magic. Tonight I started a Jewish Onion Roll dough which is resting in the fridge and I'll finish up tomorrow and I also made a Szechwan Shrimp Fry with Steamed White Rice for dinner. I have to tell you. This was so so so so good. I will totally be making this again. I kept the heat level pretty low (since I'm such a wimp) but it had small zing still, you could totally turn it up a notch with out much difficulty. 
I made the sauce first and let it sit the fridge for a few hours while I waited for Jay to get home. It's super simple and you could make a larger portion and keep it in a container in your fridge for spontaneous stir fry. 

Combine:
4T Water
2T Ketchup
1 1/2T Soy Sauce (you can add more to taste if you like)
2t Cornstarch
1t Honey
1/2t Crushed Red Pepper
1/4t Ground Ginger

Whisk until the cornstarch is completely incorporated and set aside until you're ready to add to your fry.

You can add any vegetable you like but I did about half a cup of snap peas, half a cup of sliced carrots and celery and about half a cup of thinly sliced halved onions. For me this combination of veggies was perfect. 
 Of course, I there's also got to be garlic! I minced 4 fat cloves.
 I took de-veined frozen shrimp and thawed them under some running water and took off the tails and the shells.
 Once I had everything prepared I heated about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large non-stick pan (feel free to wok it though) and added my carrot/celery mix first so they could have a little more time to cook. On top of that I added the garlic.
 After a few minutes I added the onion then a minute later I added the snap peas and then a minute later I added the shrimp. I tossed it all around a bit and let the shrimp get coated in the oil and just a tiny bit pink before added the sauce. I kept tossing gently every minute or so until the sauce had thickened and the shrimp were done.
 I spooned some hot white rice into my bowl and added my mix on top of that.
Again, I can not tell you enough how delicious I thought this was. I hoovered it as soon as I could, and I was disappointed there weren't seconds. If I were going to change one thing the next time I make this dish it would be I would make more!

Okay, time to go wash more dishes... See you tomorrow with Onion Rolls and Chocolate Mousse Cake. :)

No comments: